Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Imagine there's no heaven, no hell, no countries, no religion.

No need for greed or hunger - A brotherhood of man.

John Lennon was definitely anti-establishment, anti-religion and anti-belief systems. Yet this song still resonates with young and old. I may be showing my "pastor" sentiments, but this song is affirming to me. To imagine faith and service, peace and goodness being present without being a reward for good behavior or an insurance policy for getting into heaven - is affirming. What if we all loved one another and shared and were good to one another and creation just - because. 

27"Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 28"But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you?                            Luke 12:27-28

In his "Last interview: All We Are Saying - John Lennon & Yoko Ono, conducted by David Sheff, London 2000," Lennon explained of the lyrics in this way; "It is the concept of positive prayer. If you could imagine a world peace with no denominations or religion ... not without religion but without this my-god-is-bigger-than-your-god thing..."

So I found this quote about the Beatles and their faith: "In 1980, Lennon had moved from proudly stating that they were more popular than Jesus, to humbly saying: "I'm a most religious fellow ... I was brought up a Christian, and I only now understand some of the things that Christ was saying in those parables." As a young man, George Harrison wrote, "I want to find God. I'm not interested in material things, this world, fame - I'm going for the real goal." Later in life, Ringo Starr said, "For me, God is in my life. I don't hide from that." In the 1990s, Paul McCartney said, "I'm not religious, but I'm very spiritual." He prayed for his wife when she was having trouble giving birth to their daughter, and his 2001 song "Freedom" spoke of freedom as "a right given by God."" (http://hollowverse.com/john-lennon/)  

Prayer for Imagining...God of all, live in us fully so that we might mirror your grace, mercy and goodness because we cannot help ourselves. Let joy and love be natural to our days and let us imagine your kingdom come. Amen.

Listen to"Imagine," by John Lennon.