Tuesday, February 7, 2017

February 19 Seeking God in Others

WORSHIP on Sunday, February 19, the Seventh Sunday after Epiphany …

We continue in our focus on Seeking God with all our hearts. 

╬ Seeking God in Others

“You shall love the stranger, for you were strangers once yourselves."  - Deuteronomy 10:19

Jesus says the full measure of the “law and the prophets” – the “bible” of his time – is summed up in a single commandment:  to love; to love others as we would be loved ourselves.  This can be challenging within our own cultural enclaves, our national and religious identity groups, our communities, even our families.  But God’s commandment extends beyond our comfortable spheres, to engage the “other,” the stranger, with that same love.  And yet, we may find that when we look into the face of the stranger, with integrity and humility, it is God we find looking back.

The Prayer of the Day and Readings are below.  PLEASE NOTE: I have made substitution in the text for the Second Reading.

Blessings and peace to you all,

- Pastor Brad Highum

bhighum@abidinglove.org

PRAYER OF THE DAY ----------------------------------------------

God of all life and all creation, it is your face we seek.  Reveal yourself to us in the faces of our beloved.  Reveal yourself to us in the faces of strangers. And may it be your face that the world sees shining forth from us.  Amen.

READINGS ---------------------------------------------------------

First Reading:  Deuteronomy 10:17-22

17 The Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who is not partial and takes no bribe, 18 who executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and who loves the strangers, providing them food and clothing. 19 You shall also love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. 20 You shall revere the Lord your God; him alone you shall worship; to him you shall hold fast, and by his name you shall swear. 21 He is your praise; he is your God, who has done for you these great and awesome things that your own eyes have seen. 22 Your ancestors went down to Egypt seventy persons; and now the Lord your God has made you as numerous as the stars in heaven.

Psalm:  A Responsive Reading from Job 29:11-17

11 When the ear heard, it commended me, and when the eye saw, it approved;
12 because I delivered the poor who cried, and the orphan who had no helper.
13 The blessing of the wretched came upon me, and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy.
14 I put on righteousness, and it clothed me; my justice was like a robe and a turban.
15 I was eyes to the blind, and feet to the lame.
16 I was a father to the needy, and I championed the cause of the stranger.
17 I broke the fangs of the unrighteous, and made them drop their prey from their teeth.

Second Reading:  Ephesians 2:13-22

13 Now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us. 15 He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace, 16 and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus putting to death that hostility through it. 17 So he came and proclaimed peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near; 18 for through him both of us have access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, 20 built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. 21 In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; 22 in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling place for God.

Gospel:  Matthew 25:34-40

34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' 40 And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.'