Sunday, September 10, 2017

Go into the world Sept. 10, 2017

Worship on Sunday, September 10 … Rally Day!  Service Sunday!

Our series – Walking with Jesus – reaches its crescendo as the followers of Christ are sent out for the sake of the world.

╬ “Here am I, send me!”

Jesus invites us into a living response to the Gospel.  Disciples who have walked the journey of life and discovery with him are called to go forth as apostles … the “sent ones” of God.  Blessed by the revelation of God in Christ, followers become emissaries in service and care for all in need.  Shaped by this revelation, we are formed as the Body of Christ and sent for the sake of the world God loves.



Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings.  

I look forward to celebratory worship and a day of service with you all!

Blessings,

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

PRAYER OF THE DAY -------------------------

Lord, you have shown us the fullness of God.  You have led us on a journey of faith to discover the goodness of God in the very heart of ourselves. Send us now in faith and courage to bless the world in your name.  Amen.

READINGS ----------------------------------

First Reading:  Isaiah 6:1-8

1 I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. 2 Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. 3 And one called to another and said:  "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory." 4 The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke. 5 And I said: "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!"  6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. 7 The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: "Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out." 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I; send me!"

Psalm 107:1-9

1 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever.
2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, those he redeemed from trouble
3 and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.
4 Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to an inhabited town;
5 hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them.
6 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
7 he led them by a straight way, until they reached an inhabited town.
8 Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to humankind.
9 For he satisfies the thirsty, and the hungry he fills with good things.

Second Reading:  Hebrews 2:10-18

10It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings.11For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father. For this reason Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters,12saying, "I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters, in the midst of the congregation I will praise you." 13And again, “I will put my trust in him." And again, "Here am I and the children whom God has given me." 14Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil,15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death.16For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham.17Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people.18Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.

Gospel:  John 4:31-38

31Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, "Rabbi, eat something."32But he said to them, "I have food to eat that you do not know about."33So the disciples said to one another, "Surely no one has brought him something to eat?"34Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to complete his work.35Do you not say, 'Four months more, then comes the harvest'? But I tell you, look around you, and see how the fields are ripe for harvesting.36 The reaper is already receiving wages and is gathering fruit for eternal life, so that sower and reaper may rejoice together.37For here the saying holds true, 'One sows and another reaps.'38 I sent you to reap that for which you did not labor. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor."