Sunday, October 1, 2017

Faith Alone October 1, 2017

LOOKING AHEAD to worship on Sunday, October 1 …

We turn our Sola focus to ‘FAITH,”  Sola Fide … “Faith Alone!”



╬ Sola Fide. Jesus talks a lot about faith.  He often chastises those closest to him for being fearful and having little of this “faith.”  He claims that faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains.  He marvels at the faith – the trust, conviction, belief – of some, proclaiming that it is this faith that has delivered them, healed them, made them whole.  The Reformers hold as a sacred truth that it is the way to God.  Sola fide … faith alone!

The Prayer of the Day and Readings are below.

We pray for a new stirring of faith among the people of Abiding Love as we present our new mission plan – “Growing Deeper, Reaching Wider” – in a gathering of the congregation on this day.

God’s blessings to all!


- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org
PRAYER OF THE DAY -------------------------------------

Creating God, faith itself is a gift from you.  Grow our faith, strengthen it.  Teach us to hold to it, to be sustained by it.  For our faith is in you and in faith alone are we saved.  Amen.

READINGS -----------------------------------------------

First Reading:  Habakuk 2:1-4

1 I will stand at my watchpost, and station myself on the rampart; I will keep watch to see what he will say to me, and what he will answer concerning my complaint.  2 Then the Lord answered me and said: Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so that a runner may read it.  3 For there is still a vision for the appointed time; it speaks of the end, and does not lie.  If it seems to tarry, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay.  4 Look at the proud!  Their spirit is not right in them, but the righteous live by their faith.

Psalm 146

1 Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, O my soul!
2 I will praise the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God all my life long.
3 Do not put your trust in princes, in mortals, in whom there is no help.
4 When their breath departs, they return to the earth; on that very day their plans perish.
5 Happy are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God,
6 who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them; who keeps faith forever;
7 who executes justice for the oppressed; who gives food to the hungry.  The Lord sets the prisoners free;
8 the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.  The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous.
9 The Lord watches over the strangers; he upholds the orphan and the widow, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
10 The Lord will reign forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations.  Praise the Lord!

Second Reading:  Romans 1:8-17

8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed throughout the world. 9 For God, whom I serve with my spirit by announcing the gospel of his Son, is my witness that without ceasing I remember you always in my prayers, 10 asking that by God's will I may somehow at last succeed in coming to you. 11 For I am longing to see you so that I may share with you some spiritual gift to strengthen you — 12 or rather so that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. 13 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as I have among the rest of the Gentiles. 14 I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish 15 — hence my eagerness to proclaim the gospel to

you also who are in Rome.  16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel; it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written, "The one who is righteous will live by faith."

Gospel:  Matthew 8:5-13

5 When he entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, appealing to him 6 and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress." 7 And he said to him, "I will come and cure him." 8 The centurion answered, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes, and to another, 'Come,' and he comes, and to my slave, 'Do this,' and the slave does it." 10 When Jesus heard him, he was amazed and said to those who followed him, "Truly I tell you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith. 11 I tell you, many will come from east and west and will eat with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, 12 while the heirs of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 13 And to the centurion Jesus said, "Go; let it be done for you according to your faith." And the servant was healed in that hour.