Sunday, January 28, 2018

Trials and Testing Jan 28,2018

Worship on Sunday, January 28 …

As we continue in our focus on The Way, we engage the inevitable tests and trials of faith that beset us in seeking to live God’s Way in the world today.

╬ Trials and Testing

“Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial,” says James. Such a one has stood the test and will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”  The People of the Way understand as well as anyone that following Jesus into the midst of the world will test and try their faith.  Living the way, the truth and the life embodied in Jesus can put us at cross-purposes with the ways of the world.  And yet the promise is that faith is proven and refined in the crucible of testing, even as precious metal is purified in the refiners fire. 

The Prayer of the Day and Readings are below. 

It’s an optimal day for “Refiner’s Fire” and the like. 

Blessings to all!  Our faith is strengthened in community!

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org


PRAYER OF THE DAY ----------------

God of life, our trust and our hope are in you.  Give us the strength and courage to endure the testing of our faith, while holding true to you.  Amen.

READINGS -------------------------

First Reading:  Isaiah 48:10-14

10 See, I have refined you, but not like silver; I have tested you in the furnace of adversity.  11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for why should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another.  12 Listen to me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I called:  I am He; I am the first, and I am the last.  13 My hand laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens; when I summon them, they stand at attention.  14 Assemble, all of you, and hear! Who among them has declared these things? It is that one the Lord loves.

Psalm 22:11-21

11 Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help.
12 Many bulls encircle me, strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
13 they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast;
15 my mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death.
16 For dogs are all around me; a company of evildoers encircles me.  My hands and feet have shriveled;
17 I can count all my bones. They stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my clothes among themselves, and for my clothing they cast lots.
19 But you, O Lord, do not be far away!  O my help, come quickly to my aid!
20 Deliver my soul from the sword, my life from the power of the dog!
21 Save me from the mouth of the lion!

Second Reading:  Hebrews 4:12-16

12 Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account.  14 Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Gospel:  Luke 4:1-13

4 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing at all during those days, and when they were over, he was famished. 3 The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become a loaf of bread." 4 Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'One does not live by bread alone.'" 5 Then the devil led him up and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And the devil said to him, "To you I will give their glory and all this authority; for it has been given over to me, and I give it to anyone I please. 7 If you, then, will worship me, it will all be yours." 8 Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him.'" 9 Then the devil took him to Jerusalem, and placed him on the pinnacle of the temple, saying to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, 10 for it is written, 'He will command his angels concerning you, to protect you,' 11 and 'On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.'"  12 Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'" 13 When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him until an opportune time.