Sunday, July 8, 2018

To be a person - July 8, 2018

Worship on Sunday, July 8 …

We bring our focus on The Power of Story to a conclusion with an exploration of:  “The Gospel According To …”

╬  “To be a person,” said the Danish writer Isak Dineson, “is to have a story to tell.”  And to be a Christian is to experience our story illuminated by the revelation of God in Christ.  You have a story that is uniquely your own, even as it is informed and framed by your faith.  It is, in itself, a “gospel.”  It is the “good news” as it has been experienced by you, in your journey.  It is the Gospel of Your Life and it is the greatest gift of faith you have to offer the world.

Below are Readings and the Prayer of the Day.

You know, I could hang with this topic for a while; it’s been a rich conversation and congregational response has been strong.  But I look forward to us moving on to “Sabbath,” as well.  There will be more to say about “story” as we go.



Blessings all,

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

PRAYER OF THE DAY ---------------
God of all, you write your gospel on our hearts and invite us to live from there.  May our lives reflect the ongoing revelation of your grace and goodness for all the world to see. Amen.

READINGS ------------------------
First Reading:  Genesis 32:22-32
22 The same night he got up and took his two wives, his two maids, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 He took them and sent them across the stream, and likewise everything that he had. 24 Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he struck him on the hip socket; and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26 Then he said, "Let me go, for the day is breaking." But Jacob said, "I will not let you go, unless you bless me." 27 So he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob." 28 Then the man said, "You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with humans, and have prevailed." 29 Then Jacob asked him, "Please tell me your name." But he said, "Why is it that you ask my name?" And there he blessed him. 30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved." 31 The sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel, limping because of his hip.

Psalm 40:3-5,9-10
3 God has put a new song in my mouth — Praise to our God; many will hear it and will trust in the Lord.
4 Blessed are the ones who make the Lord their trust, and do not respect the proud, nor turn aside to lies.
5 Many, O Lord my God, are your wonderful works which you have done; if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.
9 I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness in the great assembly; indeed, I do not restrain my lips, O Lord, you yourself know.
10 I have not hidden your righteousness within my heart; I have declared your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your lovingkindness and your truth from the great assembly.

Second Reading:  Acts 22:3-21
3 "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, educated strictly according to our ancestral law, being zealous for God, just as all of you are today. 4 I persecuted this Way up to the point of death by binding both men and women and putting them in prison, 5 as the high priest and the whole council of elders can testify about me. From them I also received letters to the brothers in Damascus, and I went there in order to bind those who were there and to bring them back to Jerusalem for punishment.  6 "While I was on my way and approaching Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?' 8 I answered, 'Who are you, Lord?' Then he said to me, 'I am Jesus of Nazareth whom you are persecuting.' 9 Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. 10 I asked, 'What am I to do, Lord?' The Lord said to me, 'Get up and go to Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned to you to do.' 11 Since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, those who were with me took my hand and led me to Damascus.  12 "A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the law and well spoken of by all the Jews living there, 13 came to me; and standing beside me, he said, 'Brother Saul, regain your sight!' In that very hour I regained my sight and saw him. 14 Then he said, 'The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear his own voice; 15 for you will be his witness to all the world of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name.'  17 "After I had returned to Jerusalem and while I was praying in the temple, I fell into a trance 18 and saw Jesus saying to me, 'Hurry and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about me.' 19 And I said, 'Lord, they themselves know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believed in you. 20 And while the blood of your witness Stephen was shed, I myself was standing by, approving and keeping the coats of those who killed him.' 21 Then he said to me, 'Go, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles.'"

Gospel:  Mark 8:34-9:1

34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. 36 For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37 Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38 Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." 9 1 And he said to them, "Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come with power."