Sunday, May 26, 2019

In My Name May 26, 2019

Worship on Sunday, May 26 …

In this culmination of our focus on ONOMA, we engage the most challenging understanding of all! 


click here to listen to the late service 

click here to listen to the early service 

click here for Sermon Audio Only

click here for Childrens Sermon Audio Only

╬  In My Name In all our exploration of the “onoma” – the true essence and character revealed in “name” – there are few expressions more powerful and more mystifying that the one Jesus makes in our Gospel today:  “Ask anything of the Father in my name, and he will give it to you.”  As the time of the Eastertide is fulfilled, our study brings us to this astounding revelation and its meaning for our lives.  To what it says about Jesus, and what it reveals about OUR “onoma.”


Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings.  Sermon and Reflection Slides are attached.  PLEASE NOTE:  I have switched the First Lesson Reading for this week!


Blessings to you all as we fulfill the time of the Eastertide!

- Pr. Brad Highum

bhighum@abidinglove.org



PRAYER OF THE DAY ----------- 

God of all, in your Son your fullness is revealed.  Teach us the power of his name and the calling you place on each of us:  to embrace the onoma of your Christ as our way of being, our true identity in you.  Amen.



READINGS ---------------------



First Reading:  Isaiah 56:5-8



5 I will give, in my house and within my walls, a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.  6 And the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord, to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, all who keep the sabbath, and do not profane it, and hold fast my covenant — 7 these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.  8 Thus says the Lord God, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, I will gather others to them besides those already gathered.



Psalm 20



1 The Lord will answer you in the day of trouble!  The name of the God of Jacob protect you!

2 May he send you help from the sanctuary, and give you support from Zion.

3 May he remember all your offerings, and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices.

4 May he grant you your heart's desire, and fulfill all your plans.

5 May we shout for joy over your victory, and in the name of our God set up our banners. May the Lord fulfill all your petitions.

6 Now I know that the Lord will help his anointed; he will answer him from his holy heaven with mighty victories by his right hand.

7 Some take pride in chariots, and some in horses, but our pride is in the name of the Lord our God.

8 They will collapse and fall, but we shall rise and stand upright.

9 Give victory to the king, O Lord; answer us when we call.



Second Reading:  Colossians 3:12-17

12 As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 13 Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Gospel:  John 16:22-28


22 So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. 23 On that day you will ask nothing of me. Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.  25 "I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father. 26 On that day you will ask in my name. I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; 27 for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.