Monday, July 15, 2019

Mercy as the Way of Christ


Worship on Sunday, July 14 …





We awaken to mercy as the Way of Christ, to be embraced by all who would follow him!
╬ Mercy!   The way of Jesus is a way of mercy. The cry for mercy caused Jesus to stand still, and motivated him to respond to the outcasts whom society attempted to silence. As followers of Jesus in the way of mercy, we are called not only to respond to the needs of others, but to be motivated by a new kind of vision, one that recognizes all people as worthy of compassion, love, dignity and hope.

Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings.

Julia Miller will preach at both services.
Reggie Kikta, a Synodically Authorized Minister will preside in Communion.

Blessings to you all in Pentecost worship!
- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org



PRAYER OF THE DAY ---------------------------

God of life, in the face of harshness and disregard, teach us the way of your Christ, the way of mercy and empathy, caring and self-giving love.  Bless us to bless your world with mercy.  Amen.



READINGS --------------------------------------------
First Reading:  Micah 6:1-8

6 Hear what the Lord says: Rise, plead your case before the mountains, and let the hills hear your voice.  2 Hear, you mountains, the controversy of the Lord, and you enduring foundations of the earth; for the Lord has a controversy with his people, and he will contend with Israel.  3 "O my people, what have I done to you?  In what have I wearied you? Answer me!  4 For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, and redeemed you from the house of slavery; and I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam.  5 O my people, remember now what King Balak of Moab devised, what Balaam son of Beor answered him, and what happened from Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the saving acts of the Lord."  6 "With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high?  Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?  7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil?  Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?"  8 He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Psalm 86:1-13
1 Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.

2 Preserve my life, for I am devoted to you; save your servant who trusts in you.  You are my God;

3 be gracious to me, O Lord, for to you do I cry all day long.

4 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you.

6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer; listen to my cry of supplication.

7 In the day of my trouble I call on you, for you will answer me.

8 There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours.

9 All the nations you have made shall come and bow down before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name.

10 For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God.

11 Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart to revere your name.

12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.

13 For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

Second Reading:  1 Timothy 1:12-17
12 I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, 13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners — of whom I am the foremost. 16 But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. 17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Gospel:  Matthew 20:29-34
29 As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him. 30 There were two blind men sitting by the roadside. When they heard that Jesus was passing by, they shouted, "Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!" 31 The crowd sternly ordered them to be quiet; but they shouted even more loudly, "Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!" 32 Jesus stood still and called them, saying, "What do you want me to do for you?" 33 They said to him, "Lord, let our eyes be opened." 34 Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes. Immediately they regained their sight and followed him