Sunday, March 26, 2017

Bear with one another in love March 26

Worship on Sunday, March 26, the 4th Sunday in Lent …

Our exploration of God’s call to love our neighbors as ourselves turns to a story about the healing of ten lepers …

╬  Bear with one another in love.”

The illuminating story of Jesus healing the ten lepers winds its way through traditional understandings and religious practices of the Jews, and a radical new revelation of what it means to love neighbor as self.  Luke’s Gospel relates it among a host of other sayings and teachings and parables of Jesus.  They all share in common features of breaking down old prejudices and breaking through barriers that separate people, one from one another. This is in mind for Paul as he proclaims that old divisions are gone – between Jew and gentile, between slave and free, between male and female – all giving way to Jesus’ vision of common humanity, each loving others as we would be loved.  As Paul says, “Christ is all, and in all!”

Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings. 

The song “Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart” is playing in my head as I write.  Perhaps there is something we can do with that on such a fitting Sunday.

Blessings to you all as we continue this Lenten journey together!

- Pastor Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

Here is a bulletin cover image.  Attached are Sermon and Reflection Slides.  Below are the Prayer of the day and Readings.

Blessings to you all as we make this Lenten journey together!


- Pastor Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org
click here to listen to the early service 


PRAYER OF THE DAY ------------------------------------------------------

God of all, teach us the truth of our shared humanity.  Teach us the unity that you are calling forth in all the world.  Teach us to overcome the fears and prejudice that divide us.  Teach us that all are one in you.  Amen.

READINGS --------------------------------------------

First Reading:  Numbers 12:10-15

10 When the cloud went away from over the tent, Miriam had become leprous, as white as snow. And Aaron turned towards Miriam and saw that she was leprous. 11 Then Aaron said to Moses, "Oh, my lord, do not punish us for a sin that we have so foolishly committed. 12 Do not let her be like one stillborn, whose flesh is half consumed when it comes out of its mother's womb." 13 And Moses cried to the Lord, "O God, please heal her." 14 But the Lord said to Moses, "If her father had but spit in her face, would she not bear her shame for seven days? Let her be shut out of the camp for seven days, and after that she may be brought in again." 15 So Miriam was shut out of the camp for seven days; and the people did not set out on the march until Miriam had been brought in again.

Psalm 69:1-8
1 Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me.
3 I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched.  My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God.
4 More in number than the hairs of my head are those who hate me without cause; many are those who would destroy me, my enemies who accuse me falsely.  What I did not steal must I now restore?
5 O God, you know my folly; the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you.
6 Do not let those who hope in you be put to shame because of me, O Lord God of hosts; do not let those who seek you be dishonored because of me, O God of Israel
7 It is for your sake that I have borne reproach, that shame has covered my face.
8 I have become a stranger to my kindred, an alien to my mother's children.

Second Reading:  Colossians 3:9-17

9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices 10 and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator. 11 In that renewal there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all!  12 As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 13 Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Gospel:  Luke 17:11-19

11 On the way to Jerusalem Jesus was going through the region between Samaria and Galilee. 12 As he entered a village, ten lepers approached him. Keeping their distance, 13 they called out, saying, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!" 14 When he saw them, he said to them, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were made clean. 15 Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice. 16 He prostrated himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him. And he was a Samaritan. 17 Then Jesus asked, "Were not ten made clean? But the other nine, where are they? 18 Was none of them found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" 19 Then he said to him, "Get up and go on your way; your faith has made you well."