Sunday, April 2, 2017

There shall be one flock April 2

Worship on Sunday, April 2 …

We complete our Lent focus – “Who’s My Neighbor?” – as we contemplate some of Jesus’ most powerful teaching about God’s will for unity and inclusivity in all creation.

╬ “There shall be one flock!”
In a world of sharp divisions and rigid hierarchies, the Gospel revealed in Jesus is about unity, equality.  In a culture of in-groups and out-casts, Jesus teaches radical inclusivity.  He holds to the proclamation of the ancient prophets that God’s house – the “oikos,” the household of God – is to be a house of prayer for the nations … for all people!  He universalizes his family, saying that whoever does God’s will are brother and sister and mother to him.  And he testifies to God’s larger purpose:  that God has called him to gather sheep from many folds; so that there will be one flock, and one shepherd.  In him is God’s ultimate will revealed – God’s plan for the fullness of time:  the unity of all things, things in heaven and things in earth. (Ephesians 1:9-10)

The Prayer of the Day and Readings are below.  *** Please note the alternate Gospel text selected for the day.

I pray that this series has been a blessing to our congregation and has invited us into a larger understanding of who are “neighbors” are … of the will of God for whole human community.

Blessings to you all,

- Pastor Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

click here to listen to the early service 

PRAYER OF THE DAY ------------------------------------------

God of all, you reveal in Christ your vision of unity, of inclusivity, of mutual love, compassion and peace.  Call forth these generous natures in us, that we might walk in your will, to the fulfillment of your purpose, to the glory of your holy name.  Amen.

READINGS ---------------------------------------------------

First Reading:  Isaiah 56:1-8

56 Thus says the Lord: Maintain justice, and do what is right, for soon my salvation will come, and my deliverance be revealed.  2 Happy is the mortal who does this, the one who holds it fast, who keeps the sabbath, not profaning it, and refrains from doing any evil.  3 Do not let the foreigner joined to the Lord say, "The Lord will surely separate me from his people"; and do not let the eunuch say, "I am just a dry tree."4 For thus says the Lord: To the eunuchs who keep my sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, 5 I will give, in my house and within my walls, a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.  6 And the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord, to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, all who keep the sabbath, and do not profane it, and hold fast my covenant — 7 these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples. 8 Thus says the Lord God, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, I will gather others to them besides those already gathered.

Psalm 69:9-15

9 It is zeal for your house that has consumed me; the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.
10 When I humbled my soul with fasting, they insulted me for doing so.
11 When I made sackcloth my clothing, I became a byword to them.
12 I am the subject of gossip for those who sit in the gate, and the drunkards make songs about me.
13 But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord.  At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love, answer me. 
14 With your faithful help rescue me from sinking in the mire; let me be delivered from my enemies and from the deep waters.
15 Do not let the flood sweep over me, or the deep swallow me up, or the Pit close its mouth over me.

Second Reading:   Revelation 21:24-22:5

24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. 25 Its gates will never be shut by day — and there will be no night there. 26 People will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. 27 But nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.  22:1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 Nothing accursed will be found there any more. But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him; 4 they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 And there will be no more night; they need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.

Gospel:  Mark 3:21-25,31-34

21 When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, "He has gone out of his mind." 22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, "He has Beelzebul, and by the ruler of the demons he casts out demons." 23 And he called them to him, and spoke to them in parables, "How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.  31 Then his mother and his brothers came; and standing outside, they sent to him and called him. 32 A crowd was sitting around him; and they said to him, "Your mother and your brothers and sisters are outside, asking for you." 33 And he replied, "Who are my mother and my brothers?" 34 And looking at those who sat around him, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother."