Sunday, June 25, 2017

Worship on June 25 …

Image result for missing something in lifeWe continue in our Pentecost series “Follow” as we engage the “stuff and things” in life that draw us from vital presence with God.

╬ “One thing lacking …”
Henry David Thoreau said the mass of people “lead lives of quiet desperation.”  He speaks to a longing, an empty place, unfulfilled in so many; the vast majority.  It is clear that this sense of incompleteness and unfulfillment plagues the “ruler” of Luke’s Gospel, as well.  He asks Jesus, “What must I do to truly live?”  Rather than a quick, pat answer, Jesus takes him through a process, along a journey that invites him from superficial notions and practices to a deep sense of the “one thing lacking” in his longing for wholeness.

Below are Readings and the Prayer of the Day.  PLEASE NOTE the change in the Psalm for the day!

God’s calling to follow truly is an invitation to freedom.  Let’s celebrate this in worship together!

Blessings and peace to you all,

- Pr. Brad Highum

bhighum@abidinglove.org


PRAYER OF THE DAY --------------------------------------------------
Lord, open our eyes and our hearts to everything that distracts us from the path; anything that conspires to come between us and your goodness.  Help us to follow you in the way and truth that leads to the heart of God.  Amen.

READINGS ---------------------------------------------------

First Reading:  Exodus 33:12-23

12 Moses said to the Lord, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.' 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people." 14 The Lord replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."  15 Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?" 17 And the Lord said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name."  18 Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory."  19 And the Lord said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."  21 Then the Lord said, "There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen."

Psalm 27:1-5

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh — my adversaries and foes — they shall stumble and fall.

3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident.

4 One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.

5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock.

Second Reading:  1 Peter 2:21-25

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps.  22 "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth."  23 When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. 25 For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

Gospel:  Luke 18:18-27

18 A certain ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 19 Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 20 You know the commandments: 'You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother.'" 21 He replied, "I have kept all these since my youth." 22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." 23 But when he heard this, he became sad; for he was very rich. 24 Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! 25 Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."  26 Those who heard it said, "Then who can be saved?" 27 He replied, "What is impossible for mortals is possible for God."