Sunday, February 10, 2019

Dying of the Light 2-10-2019

Worship this Sunday, February 10 …

In the joy of the focus of our Epiphany Series – The Light of the World! – we must inevitably engage those times when the light dims; those places in life – for us, for Jesus, for everyone – when shadows loom, and we experience the …   


╬ “Dying of the Light!”

There come times in every life when the light seems to fail.  When darkness looms around us, within us, and we find ourselves dwelling in shadow, once again.  It may result from things beyond our control, harsh circumstance, misfortune.  Perhaps it is our own failing that brings us into a place of darkness, chaos.  A sense of darkness can attend dramatic changes in our life, or the loss of someone or something we love.  Experiencing dark times is pervasive, maybe inevitable.  Jesus himself is not spared.  But there is a hope that glimmers, even in the shadows; a promise from God of a light no darkness can overcome.  Even in the darkest night, there is a light beyond. 




Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings.  

Times of spiritual darkness will come.  How blessed we are not alone, but make the journey together, in the presence of the light that never fails!

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

PRAYER OF THE DAY -------------
Creating God, draw us close when the light seems to fail.  When darkness  threatens to overwhelm us, shine the light of your Christ all the stronger.  Call us forth from the shadows to walk in your light once more. Amen.

READINGS ----------------------

First Reading:  Job 18:5-8,18-21
5 "Surely the light of the wicked is put out, and the flame of their fire does not shine.  6 The light is dark in their tent, and the lamp above them is put out.  7 Their strong steps are shortened, and their own schemes throw them down.  8 For they are thrust into a net by their own feet, and they walk into a pitfall.  18 They are thrust from light into darkness, and driven out of the world.  19 They have no offspring or descendant among their people, and no survivor where they used to live.  20 They of the west are appalled at their fate, and horror seizes those of the east.  21 Surely such are the dwellings of the ungodly, such is the place of those who do not know God."

Psalm 139:1-12
1 O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away.
3 You search out my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue, O Lord, you know it completely.
5 You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.
7 Where can I go from your spirit?  Or where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,"
12 even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you.

Second Reading:  1 John 2:7-11,15-17
7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word that you have heard. 8 Yet I am writing you a new commandment that is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. 9 Whoever says, "I am in the light," while hating a brother or sister, is still in the darkness. 10 Whoever loves a brother or sister lives in the light, and in such a person there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates another believer is in the darkness, walks in the darkness, and does not know the way to go, because the darkness has brought on blindness.  15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. The love of the Father is not in those who love the world; 16 for all that is in the world — the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eyes, the pride in riches — comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 And the world and its desire are passing away, but those who do the will of God live forever.

Gospel:  John 12:27-36
27 "Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say — 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." 29 The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him." 30 Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." 33 He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die. 34 The crowd answered him, "We have heard from the law that the Messiah remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?" 35 Jesus said to them, "The light is with you for a little longer. Walk while you have the light, so that the darkness may not overtake you. If you walk in the darkness, you do not know where you are going. 36 While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of light."