Sunday, February 3, 2019

Transforming Power of Light Feb 3, 2018

LOOKING AHEAD  to worship on Sunday, February 3…

Our Epiphany Series celebrates The Light of the World!  This week, we focus on how the light of Christ, shining in us, has the power to transform life for us and for others, especially those in need. 




╬ “Transforming Power of Light!”

Just as Jesus is revealed as the manifestation of God in the world, we are called to be manifestations of that light and grace, ourselves.  Today, Pr. Tim Anderson will share with us about the progress of our mission initiative in East Austin.  The work we are doing, in league with our Austin City Lutheran partner churches, has already made a material difference in meeting supplemental food needs in what is described as a “food desert.”  Now, with our new initiative in early childhood education, we are creating the potential for life-transforming education ministry at the most important time in young lives, and for families for whom quality programming has been beyond reach. 

Readings and the Prayer of the Day are below.

It is good to celebrate with you in this season of Light!

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

PRAYER OF THE DAY --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creating God, your light shines within us.  By the power of your Spirit, strengthen and encourage us to be light for your world.  To shine the light of your Christ into the lives of others, especially those who languish in the shadows.  Amen.

READINGS ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Reading:  Isaiah 9:2-8
1 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness — on them light has shined.  3 You have multiplied the nation, you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as people exult when dividing plunder. 4 For the yoke of their burden, and the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian.  5 For all the boots of the tramping warriors and all the garments rolled in blood shall be burned as fuel for the fire.  6 For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  7 His authority shall grow continually, and there shall be endless peace for the throne of David and his kingdom.  He will establish and uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time onward and forevermore.  The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Psalm 13
1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?  How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I bear pain in my soul, and have sorrow in my heart all day long?  How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!  Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
4 and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed"; my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.
5 But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

Second Reading:  Acts 22:6-15
6 Paul said, "While I was on my way and approaching Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?' 8 I answered, 'Who are you, Lord?' Then he said to me, 'I am Jesus of Nazareth whom you are persecuting.' 9 Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. 10 I asked, 'What am I to do, Lord?' The Lord said to me, 'Get up and go to Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned to you to do.' 11 Since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, those who were with me took my hand and led me to Damascus.  12 "A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the law and well spoken of by all the Jews living there, 13 came to me; and standing beside me, he said, 'Brother Saul, regain your sight!' In that very hour I regained my sight and saw him. 14 Then he said, 'The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear his own voice; 15 for you will be his witness to all the world of what you have seen and heard.

Gospel:  John 12:44-50
44 Then Jesus cried aloud: "Whoever believes in me believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46 I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness. 47 I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects me and does not receive my word has a judge; on the last day the word that I have spoken will serve as judge, 49 for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has told me."