Sunday, March 31, 2019

Blind in Bethsaida -March 31, 2019

Worship on Sunday, March 31 …

Our Wilderness Journey! takes a turns as we experience a miraculous deliverance … one that requires us to get out of town! 
late service was not recorded



╬ Blind in Bethsaida!

Blindness takes many forms in life.  There is a physical blindness that robs the eyes of sight, that keeps light from travelling to the brain.  Then there’s a blindness that robs the spirit, that keeps the realities of life from travelling to the heart.  This blindness often stems from habituation.  The mundane familiarity of daily living, over time, can reduce our awareness of the vibrance of life around us.  The cure for this blindness is found in the wilderness … out, away from the usual and predictable, out into the wildness of desert places and unknown spaces.

 Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings.  

We pray, Lord, lead us into the wilderness, minister to us there, open our eyes to truly see!

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

PRAYER OF THE DAY ------------------
Creating God, in the ebb and flow of life we can become blind to the realities around us.  Lead us into the wilderness and restore our vision.  Open our eyes, Lord, we want to see Jesus.  Amen.

READINGS -----------------------------------
First Reading:  Isaiah 38:10-11,13-16
10 I said: In the noontide of my days I must depart; I am consigned to the gates of Sheol for the rest of my years.  11 I said, I shall not see the Lord in the land of the living; I shall look upon mortals no more among the inhabitants of the world.  13 I cry for help until morning; from day to night you bring me to an end.  14 Like a swallow or a crane I clamor, I moan like a dove.  My eyes are weary with looking upward.  O Lord, I am oppressed; be my security!  15 But what can I say? For he has spoken to me, and he himself has done it.  All my sleep has fled because of the bitterness of my soul. 16 O Lord, by these things people live, and in all these is the life of my spirit.  Oh, restore me to health and make me live!

Psalm 146
1 Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, O my soul!
2 I will praise the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God all my life long.
3 Do not put your trust in princes, in mortals, in whom there is no help.
4 When their breath departs, they return to the earth; on that very day their plans perish.
5 Happy are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God, 6 who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them; who keeps faith forever;
7 who executes justice for the oppressed; who gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets the prisoners free;
8 the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.  The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous.
9 The Lord watches over the strangers; he upholds the orphan and the widow, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
10 The Lord will reign forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations.  Praise the Lord!

Second Reading:  Acts 7:30-34
30 "Now when forty years had passed, an angel appeared to him in the wilderness of Mount Sinai, in the flame of a burning bush. 31 When Moses saw it, he was amazed at the sight; and as he approached to look, there came the voice of the Lord: 32 'I am the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.' Moses began to tremble and did not dare to look. 33 Then the Lord said to him, 'Take off the sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy ground. 34 I have surely seen the mistreatment of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their groaning, and I have come down to rescue them. Come now, I will send you to Egypt.'

Gospel:  Mark 8:22-26
22 They came to Bethsaida. Some people brought a blind man to him and begged him to touch him. 23 He took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village; and when he had put saliva on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, "Can you see anything?" 24 And the man looked up and said, "I can see people, but they look like trees, walking." 25 Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he looked intently and his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26 Then he sent him away to his home, saying, "Do not even go into the village."