Sunday, September 15, 2019

Send Me Sept 15, 2019

LOOKING AHEAD  to worship on Sunday, September 15 …

We grow deeper in our understanding of what it means to be Apostles … the Sent Ones of God.

click here to listen to the early service 

click here for Sermon Audio Only

click here for Children's Sermon Audio Only


╬  Send Me

The calling of people to live out their faith – to the glory of God and for the sake of the world – can be understood in a triune way.  The people of God are claimed by God in baptism, gathered together as a community of faith and sent in a mission of love and service to a needful world.   As the Body of Christ in the world today, we are the claimed-gathered-sent ones of God.  Our shared journey is to live into and to live out that true identity.

 Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings. 

Blessings to you all as we hear God’s call and respond together!

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org


PRAYER OF THE DAY ---------------------
God of life, in Christ you call us daughters and sons.  And in Christ we find our calling:  to live as your faithful people, for your glory, and for the sake of the world you love.  Amen.

READINGS ---------------------------
First Reading:  Isaiah 6:1-9
6 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. 2 Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. 3 And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory."  4 The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke. 5 And I said: "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!"  6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. 7 The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: "Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out." 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I; send me!"

Psalm 111
1 Praise the Lord!  I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.

2 Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them.

3 Full of honor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures forever.

4 He has gained renown by his wonderful deeds; the Lord is gracious and merciful.

5 He provides food for those who revere him; he is ever mindful of his covenant.

6 He has shown his people the power of his works, in giving them the heritage of the nations.

7 The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.

8 They are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.

9 He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name.

10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding.  His praise endures forever.

Second Reading:   Acts 7:30-34
30 "Now when forty years had passed, an angel appeared to him in the wilderness of Mount Sinai, in the flame of a burning bush. 31 When Moses saw it, he was amazed at the sight; and as he approached to look, there came the voice of the Lord: 32 'I am the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.' Moses began to tremble and did not dare to look. 33 Then the Lord said to him, 'Take off the sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy ground. 34 I have surely seen the mistreatment of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their groaning, and I have come down to rescue them. Come now, I will send you to Egypt.'

Gospel:  John 20:19-23
19 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."