Sunday, September 29, 2019

The Cost of Apostleship Sept 29,2019

Worship on Sunday, September 29


We complete our focus on our calling as Apostles with perhaps its greatest challenges ...

click here to listen to the late service 

click here to listen to the early service 

click here for Sermon Audio Only

click here for Children's Sermon Audio Only

╬  The Cost of Apostleship

To the apostles - the sent ones - to his followers who have embraced the way and the truth and the life of Jesus, he gives a solemn warning.  The world will resist - even violently - this way of being that calls forth love in the face of fear, that celebrates generosity in the face of greed, that honors God above empire. Who knows better than Jesus the consequences of speaking truth to power when power does not want to hear. 

Below are the Prayer of the Day and
Readings. 

Our calling as apostles is daunting, but we make our way together, abiding
in God's love and grace!

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org 

PRAYER OF THE DAY
-----------------------------------
Almighty God, give us strength, give us courage when life in this world
challenges our faith.  Bless us in times of struggling for justice,
defending the oppressed and the powerless, standing for your righteousness.
Lead us in the way of your Christ.  Amen.

READINGS
-------------------------------
First Reading:  Judges 2:16-19
16 Then the Lord raised up judges, who delivered them out of the power of
those who plundered them. 17 Yet they did not listen even to their judges;
for they lusted after other gods and bowed down to them. They soon turned
aside from the way in which their ancestors had walked, who had obeyed the
commandments of the Lord; they did not follow their example. 18 Whenever the
Lord raised up judges for them, the Lord was with the judge, and he
delivered them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge; for
the Lord would be moved to pity by their groaning because of those who
persecuted and oppressed them.

Psalm 119:149-152,160-165
149 In your steadfast love hear my voice; O Lord, in your justice preserve
my life.

150 Those who persecute me with evil purpose draw near; they are far from
your law.

151 Yet you are near, O Lord, and all your commandments are true.

152 Long ago I learned from your decrees that you have established them
forever.

160 The sum of your word is truth; and every one of your righteous
ordinances endures forever.

161 Princes persecute me without cause, but my heart stands in awe of your
words.

162 I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil.

163 I hate and abhor falsehood, but I love your law.

164 Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous ordinances.

165 Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.

Second Reading:  Acts 22:1-8
1 Paul said, "Brothers and fathers, listen to the defense that I now make
before you." 2 When they heard him addressing them in Hebrew, they became
even more quiet. Then he said:3 "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but
brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, educated strictly according
to our ancestral law, being zealous for God, just as all of you are today. 4
I persecuted this Way up to the point of death by binding both men and women
and putting them in prison, 5 as the high priest and the whole council of
elders can testify about me. From them I also received letters to the
brothers in Damascus, and I went there in order to bind those who were there
and to bring them back to Jerusalem for punishment.  6 "While I was on my
way and approaching Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly
shone about me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me,
'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?'

Gospel:  Matthew 5:1-2,10-12

1 When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down,
his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them,
saying: 10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 "Blessed are you when people revile
you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my
account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in
the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.