Sunday, September 8, 2019

The Sent Ones Sept 8,2019

LOOKING AHEAD  to worship on Sunday, September 8 …

On this Rally Day and Service Sunday, we begin a new series … embracing our identity as apostles:  “The Sent Ones!”



click here to listen to the late service 

click here to listen to the early service 

click here for Sermon Audio Only

click here for Children's Sermon Audio Only


╬  “I no longer call you servants.”

As Jesus prepares us as disciples through his ministry, he speaks to us of the fullness of his revelation of God.  He says, I have shown you everything that God has shown me.  And he calls us friends.  He says, I no longer call you servants (doulos), but friends (philos) because I have given you all that God has given me.  We are called to live and love and serve as friends of Christ.

Below are the Prayer of the Day and Readings.  

Blessings to you all as we fully live into this identity which God has crafted in us!

- Pr. Brad Highum
bhighum@abidinglove.org

PRAYER OF THE DAY ---------------
God of life, in Christ you reach to us as beloved friends and we give you thanks.  Invite us to live into our friendship with you as we walk together, daily.  Amen.

READINGS --------------------------------
First Reading:  Exodus 33:7-11
7 Now Moses used to take the tent and pitch it outside the camp, far off from the camp; he called it the tent of meeting. And everyone who sought the Lord would go out to the tent of meeting, which was outside the camp. 8 Whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people would rise and stand, each of them, at the entrance of their tents and watch Moses until he had gone into the tent. 9 When Moses entered the tent, the pillar of cloud would descend and stand at the entrance of the tent, and the Lord would speak with Moses. 10 When all the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance of the tent, all the people would rise and bow down, all of them, at the entrance of their tent. 11 Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.

Psalm 25:8-14
8 Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in the way.

9 He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.

10 All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.

11 For your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great.

12 Who are they that revere the Lord?  He will teach them the way that they should choose.

13 They will abide in prosperity, and their children shall possess the land.

14 The friendship of the Lord is for those who revere him, and he makes his covenant known to them.

Second Reading:  1 John 4:16-5:5
God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them. 17 Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness on the day of judgment, because as he is, so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love. 19 We love because he first loved us. 20 Those who say, "I love God," and hate their brothers or sisters, are liars; for those who do not love a brother or sister whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. 21 The commandment we have from him is this: those who love God must love their brothers and sisters also.  5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, 4 for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world, our faith. 5 Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?



Gospel:  John 15:8-17
8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.  12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. 16 You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. 17 I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.